Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sazerac Rye 18 Year - * * * * 1/2

GOOOOAAAALLLL !!!!

Here is the 2nd whiskey to get 4.5 stars (highest rating here), matching my benchmark bourbon, the W. L. Weller 19 year. Holy crap this is good. And it comes from Buffalo Trace Distillery, the same folks who brought us that Weller. I see a pattern here.


Upon opening the new bottle, I gave a sip to my girlfriend (a chef who appreciates but doesn't enjoy whiskey). Her eyes got all sparkly: "ooo, that is goooood!" We immediately researched the cocktail for which this Rye is named (said by many to be the best cocktail ever... we haven't purchased the Peychaud's Bitters yet but cheated a bit and added a few drops of the recently-released Absinthe Verte from St. George Spirits and ... amazing.

This rye is a party in a bottle. A party where giggly, fun, cute Hooters waitresses show up after getting off work and start drinking mimosas. It is like kissing your first crush. It just makes ya smile.

I love you Buffalo Trace. And I pledge to faithfully purchase your yearly antique collection, from where magnificent things
such as this come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never had a Rye, I will have to try this one.